Summers in India are harsh, but dessert cravings remain. So one night after dinner, we were craving for some dessert, and decided to go for Bhapa doi.
Doi, or curd, is an ideal after-meal dessert (though we have it anytime of the day!). Bengalis swear by doi. Apart from being absolutely tasty, Curd is known to improve immunity and digestion, strengthen bones, and reduce high blood pressure.
Following is the short and simple method to make Bhapa doi.
- Yoghurt or hung curd (tok doi)
- Condensed milk
- Cardamom powder
- Take 2 parts of curd and 1 part of condensed milk and mix together in a bowl with a blender or whip it
- Add some crushed pistachios, almonds and sprinkle some cardamom powder (for the essence) on it. Mix again.
- Now that the base is ready, cover the bowl with foil and put in on a water tray. Put the entire set up into the microwave oven and bake at 140 degrees for 20 min.
- Alternative to the previous step, if you are using a gas oven and have a steamer, put the bowl on the top pan and cover with a lid. The aim is to not let the steam escape. Cook on medium flame for 20 min.
- Take the bowl out of the oven or gas, cool it for a while, sprinkle some more crushed pistachios and almonds for the topping, and put it into the refrigerator for 1.5-2 hrs.
- Serve chilled!
Happy dessert making!